I had opportunity to divert my attention last week from the mechanical design for our indoor horticulture stack-able systems and to consider our LED lighting systems. I stumbled upon three videos on YouTube that I wanted to share. Director of Horticulture Research and Development Dr. Rebecca Knight presented “LED Lighting for Controlled Environment Agriculture” at the 2016 Greenhouse Crop Production and Engineering Design Short Course at the University of Arizona. The inspiration from those videos moved me brightly, and I called her to say thanks.
The videos include the following key points that are near and dear to our systems and business plan:
- photons – particles of electromagnetic radiation
- rate-limiting steps in photosynthesis
- saving energy when plants can’t utilize photons
- Daily Light Integral (DLI)
- Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density (PPFD)
Below are the links to the 3 YouTube videos. May they move you brightly as well.